Wednesday, December 26, 2012

How to Deal with Urinary Tract Infection

When I was still in college (not too long ago ;), I remember a female classmate of mine who had a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). That is the first time I came to know about it, and I thought all along that only women may contract such infection. Until one day, I felt some pain when I was urinating. It became so persistent that I finally decided to visit a doctor (I have an HMO anyway).

After being required to submit a urine sample, the doctor declared that it was indeed due to a UTI. I was surprised. How can a man have UTI? Anyway, an antibiotic was prescribed to be taken for 14 days -- this means my infection is severe.

After presenting the prescription with a local pharmacy, a learned that each pill costs P17. That is too pricey for me and knowing that might be other equally potent drugs out there, I inquired about other drugs with the same generic name (thanks to a law which compels all doctors to indicate the generic name of drugs in their prescriptions) and the pharmacist gave me generic drug which costs just P1.60. I bought 21 pcs and after 2 weeks of taking all of it, the result of my urinalysis showed a very substantial improvement.

With this experience, I have learned that generic medicines are as equally as effective as those popular brands. Prices are just inflated because of advertising expenses.
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment